Monday, March 21, 2011

Tickled Pink

Yesterday was the first day of spring. The weather was beautiful today. I am on spring break. All of these facts led me to make some pink lemonade cupcakes tonight. I have never made pink lemonade cupcakes before, but they are something I have always wanted to try. After searching around on the internet a little, I found some recipes I wanted to try.

Pink lemonade cupcakes:

  • Box of white cake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup pink lemonade concentrate (thawed)
Mix everything together in mixing bowl. Bake at 350 for 21 minutes.

Lemon filling:
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 cup cold water
  • 1 egg yolk, beaten
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/8-1/4 cup lemonade concentrate
  • lemon juice to taste
Mix cornstarch, cold water, egg yolk, sugar and pinch of salt in medium saucepan. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and beginning to boil. Remove from heat and add butter, lemonade concentrate, and lemon juice. Stir until butter is melted. Put filling in a bowl with plastic wrap on top. Place in refrigerator until cooled. 

I got this filling recipe from this blog and modified it to fit my taste.

Pink lemonade buttercream frosting
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup lemonade concentrate (can modify this to your taste)
  • red food coloring (optional)
Mix everything together on low until combined. Mix on medium to high speed until frosting is fluffy. Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.

I got the icing recipe from this blog and then modified it for my taste.  I ended up making a recipe and a half of this because one recipe wasn't enough. 

This recipe was relatively easy to make. If you aren't familiar with putting a filling in a cupcake, I would forego that step because it can be a little difficult. Also, make sure the cupcakes are completely cooled when you frost them. I iced a few that were still warm and the icing slid right off the cupcake. Not cool. No pun intended. 

Here is a picture of my cupcake:



Enjoy these lovely spring/summer treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment