Monday, May 23, 2011

Just Call Me a Working Woman

I finished up my first week of my new internship last week. I am still working with Taryn two days a week, but I got another part time internship at Full Circle Public Relations in downtown Greenville. I work at Full Circle PR MWF and work for TK PR on TTh. Not only do I get to go somewhere different everyday, but I also do different tasks at each job everyday. I like that. I could never do a job where I do the same thing every single day. Although I tend to schedule out my days and have many routines I follow, I enjoy having a different to-do list everyday at work. 

Working at Full Circle PR is a totally different experience than working at TK PR. Although I am working for more than one person now, Full Circle is still a small PR firm with only four employees. I am the first intern they have had :) I enjoy the people I work with; all of the employees at Full Circle are women. I like working with all women and have actually worked primarily with women in all my jobs so far. 

I have done a wide variety of tasks at Full Circle PR. Their client base is completely different from Taryn's. Taryn's niche is small businesses, mostly in the luxury industry (fashion, beauty, travel, food, wine and more). Full Circle represents bigger businesses: Costa del Mar sunglasses, Hubble Lighting and Milliken Flooring to name a few. We are also doing some short term projects with Rack Room Shoes and Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. The employees at Full Circle usually only work on one account, whereas Taryn works on 10+ different accounts. However, it is important to realize that bigger clients require more extensive, detailed work. 

I researched a lot of various social media strategies last week. It's interesting to see how different companies manage their social media accounts. I have also seen the detailed work that goes into monthly reports presented to clients and the meticulous process of recording everything you do for a client and how long it took you. While it is not fun to record every little thing you do, it is how you bill the clients for the work. No record, no money. 

During the past week, I have also attended at least four meetings. That may not sound like a whole lot, but I am just getting started. The first thing I did when I walked in last Monday was go to a status meeting. While meetings may sound boring, I have learned a lot just through listening at various meetings. Meetings can even be fun sometimes-especially when they are meetings to brainstorm ideas. 

My favorite part of my job so far is getting to write. The field of public relations requires a lot of writing, so it is important to enjoy this aspect of the job. I have to post to the company blog every Friday. I also will be helping with some of the blog posts for the client blogs we manage. I posted my first post last week and it is currently on the homepage of the client's website

I am really glad I started this blog several months ago. Not only has it helped me write frequently, but it's not quite as intimidating when I am asked to write a blog for work. Blogging is something I do for fun, so it doesn't always seem like work to me :)

Sorry if this post was long and heavy on information about PR. I enjoy reading/hearing about other people's internships, so I thought I would share what I have been doing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment