Monday, November 7, 2011

Swamp Rabbit Trail

One of my favorite memories in college was a day trip I took with my roommates during my sophomore year. We road tripped to Damascus, VA one Saturday and rode the Virginia Creeper Trail, which is a 34 mile bike trail that follows the path of a former railroad. We only did half the trail, which actually isn't very hard at all. The trail is downward sloping the majority of the time, and the beautiful scenery provides great opportunities to stop and take pictures . Here are a a few pictures from that trip.


We tried to plan a trip this year, but it didn't work out where we all had an entire Saturday in the fall that we could dedicate to a road trip. However, we did make it up to Greenville this past Saturday to ride the Swamp Rabbit Trail. We rented some bikes in downtown Greenville and were on our way. We had a lot of fun, but it sure was cold and windy! Here are a few pictures from our trip.



We loved the bikes we rented! They were so cute and vintage looking - made me want to start biking a lot more so I can have an excuse to buy one :) The top two pictures are pictures with my roommates Lindsay and Rachel. The last picture is of my roommate Stephanie. She was struggling (i.e. she was exhausted after a mile and a half of our 12 mile ride). She was being very dramatic at the time and decided to lay down to rest. For those of you that know her, you might be laughing at this. For those of you who don't, just know she is one of those people who is impossible to truly describe and is unlike anyone else you will ever meet. We love her. 

We ended our ride by stopping at The Cafe at Williams Hardware on our way back to Clemson. I have been wanting to try this family-owned restaurant ever since I visited it this summer for a project I was working on for my internship. I had the grilled ham and gourmet pimento cheese sandwich with a side of tomato okra soup. It was so good and hit the spot after our cold morning ride. Everyone else was happy with their food too. Definitely recommend it if you're ever in the grand town of Travelers Rest, SC. They also had an impressive selection of desserts. I was so tempted to try one. But I didn't. 

Remember? I'm on the 21 day no junk food challenge.

While I promise I didn't get any dessert at lunch, looking at the desserts may or may not have started an irresistible baking itch deep inside of my soul. I may or may not have a recipe to share with you later this week....



No comments:

Post a Comment