Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pumpkin Apple Pie

Ok so I cheated on the "21 Day No Junk Food Challenge." I just got a terrible baking itch last week. There was nothing I could do to get rid of it. I had to bake. After seeing all the pies at The Cafe at Williams Hardware, I knew I had to make one. I was in the mood for something pumpkin, but I also kinda wanted to make an apple pie. After searching a few recipes online, I decided to type in "Pumpkin Apple Pie." Several great-looking recipes popped up right away. My decision was made.

I found the original recipe at TasteofHome.com. I ended up changing a little bit from the original. Here is what I used.

Ingredients
1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples.
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

PUMPKIN FILLING:
1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
1 cup evaporated milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

TOPPING:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons brown sugar
6 teaspoons cold butter

Directions
On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry. Transfer pastry to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, lemon juice and cinnamon. Spoon into crust.

In another large bowl, whisk the pumpkin filling ingredients. Pour over apple mixture. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes.

For topping, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly; stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over pie.
Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted into pumpkin layer comes out clean (cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning).

This pie was super yummy! The perfect fall treat. I would definitely make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment