Thursday, November 17, 2011

Chocolate Caramel Cupcakes

Whenever I volunteer to bake something for a party/get-together/birthday, I always have so many recipes I could make. However, for some reason I always feel the need to try a new recipe instead of making something I've made before. I usually end up wasting an hour browsing the internet before I choose something to make.

Last week was no different. I volunteered to make a dessert for my small group get together. I could have made my tried and true chocolate cupcakes, but of course I wanted to try some new chocolate cupcakes. I found these Heath Bar Cupcakes from Your Cup of Cake and decided to try them.

Chocolate Buttercream Cake:
¾ cup buttermilk
½ cup oil
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
Devil’s Food Cake Mix

Caramel Filling:
1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup caramel (store bought or homemade)

Caramel Buttercream:
½ cup butter
8 oz cream cheese
2-4 tablespoons caramel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons milk
3-4 cups powdered sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 muffin tins with 24 cupcake liners.
2. Combine buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla.
3. Slowly mix in cake mix and add sour cream.
4. Fill liners ¾ full and bake for 18-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
5. Caramel Filling: Whisk sweetened condensed milk and caramel together.  Pour into a squeeze bottle if one is available and insert tip into each warm cupcake fill as desired.  If you do not have a squeeze bottle, hollow out a little circle at the top of each cupcake and spoon the mixture into it.
*My caramel mixture was pretty thin and the cupcake soaked it up. I added the cake I spooned out back into the cupcake so I didn't have a big hole.
6. Buttercream: Beat butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.  Add caramel, vanilla and powdered sugar.  Then adjust consistency using milk and powdered sugar.  Beat well.
7. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with melted chocolate and a piece of a Heath Bar.

I didn't add the Heath Bar on top and instead just drizzled caramel. The picture on the blog I got the recipe from is beautiful and had really stiff icing. The icing I made wasn't stiff at all. It didn't hold my swirl when I piped in on the cupcake. I should have used my go-to cream cheese icing and just added a little caramel. However, the cake was pretty good. Not quite as rich or dense as my regular chocolate cupcake recipe, but it was really moist because of the caramel filling. I would make the cupcake recipe again, but definitely not the icing.

Here is a picture of my cupcake. You can see how the icing just kinda spread out over the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment