Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Chocolate Lover's Cupcakes

If you are a chocolate fanatic, you are probably going to want to make these cupcakes. They are so rich and moist. I wouldn't consider myself a chocoholic, but I love these cupcakes. People have told me they are the best cupcakes they have ever had in their life. Not kidding. I make them for so many parties, showers, birthdays, etc. because they are so good. Another great thing about them? They are super easy to make, and actually have a cake mix base. Here you go...

  • 1 box Duncan Hines Devil's Food cake mix
  • 1 small box instant chocolate pudding
  • 1/2 cup cocoa
  • 1 2/3 cup water
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup Mayo (not low-fat)
  • 12 oz. pkg. chocolate chips
Mix everything together except chocolate chips. Add chocolate chips by hand. Pour into pan. Bake at 350 degrees. The time varies depending on the pan. For cupcakes I usually bake them for about 18 minutes. This recipe makes about two and a half dozen cupcakes, but it can be made as a cake too. If you're making a cake, look at the cook times on the back of the cake mix box and keep a close eye on it. However, this cake is really hard to overcook because the chocolate chips melt and make it really moist.

I usually use a cream cheese icing when I make these, but I have tried buttercream and it is good too. You may have your own cream cheese icing recipe, or you could just pick up a container at the store, but I thought I would share my favorite recipe with you. I like to pipe my frosting on the cupcakes and have been looking for a stiff cream cheese icing and finally found one on cakecentral.com. Here it is...

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
  • 1 pound cream cheese (2 boxes), softened
  • 1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract (you could use regular, it just isn't as white)
  • 3 1/2 pounds sifted confectioner's sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt



Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extract. Gradually add confectioner’s sugar and salt. Beat
on low speed until nice and creamy. 

This recipe will easily ice five dozen cupcakes. I halve the recipe if I only have two dozen cupcakes to make. This recipe is for a stiff consistency. For a thinner consistency, use three pounds of confectioner's sugar. Here are a few pictures of various ways I have decorated them....




These decorations honestly are not that hard. If you aren't familiar with piping, all you need is....
a decorating bag
a 2D icing tip if you want to make a swirl like the ones in the last two pictures
or a 1A icing tip if you want to make a swirl like the first two pictures
If you want to use a 1A time you need a coupler since it's smaller. A coupler looks like this...


A coupler goes at the end of the icing bag to hold the tip in. All of these supplies can be found at any craft store such as AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, or Michael's. Walmart also has a cake decorating section where you could buy this. To make your swirls, just simply move the icing bag in a swirl pattern. It may take you a few times if you have never used a decorating bag before, but it shouldn't take you long to catch on. 

Enjoy!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment