Sunday, April 17, 2011

Chocolaty Peanut Butter Goodness


So I got a baking itch this weekend. I was supposed to be studying so that might have had something to do with it. However, I decided not to bake because I didn't want to go to the grocery and didn't want to mess up my kitchen.


That was before my boyfriend offered to go to the store for me. I think he likes it when I bake. So after his generous offer I decided to start looking for some recipes. Decided to go with cupcakes since they are one of my specialties :) After sifting through some recipes I found this recipe on this blog.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

For the filling:
1 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
4 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the cake:
1 2/3 cups flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
For the frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line two cupcake pans with liners.
For the filling, mix the powdered sugar, peanut butter, butter and vanilla in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat at medium speed until fully combined. With your hands, roll the mixture into 1-inch balls, creating at least 24 count.  Set aside on wax paper or a baking sheet.
For the cake, stir together the sour cream, milk and vanilla extract in a small bowl.   In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Beating one at a time, mix in the eggs.  Scrape down the bowl.  Mixing at low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream mixture, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
Spoon or pipe a tablespoon or two of the batter into each cupcake liner. Drop a peanut butter ball into each cupcake well...

and top with the remaining cake batter. 

Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until passes toothpick test. Cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the frosting.  Using the paddle attachment of the electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, butter and peanut butter until smooth.  Slowly mix in the powdered sugar. Blend until smooth. Gently fold in the whipped topping until fluffy. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired


This is how I decided to decorate them...
And this is what it looks like when you cut into the deliciousness

I really liked the peanut butter ball in the middle and the peanut butter cream cheese frosting. However, the cake was a little dry for me, and I cooked the cupcakes on the lowest time (18 min). Next time I will use my cake recipe from this post and leave out the chocolate chips. 


Enjoy!

1 comment: