Sunday, June 12, 2011

Thoughts on Cake Pops

So I decided to take a stab at making cake pops this weekend. Apparently they are the next cupcake. I disagree. You may have seen them at bakeries or Starbucks, but here is what a basic cake pop looks like. Note: this is not what mine looked like.
Mine were not this pretty. I can see how people like them. They can be really pretty. They are great party favors. They are unique. This blogger, Bakerella, has even published a whole book about cake pops. But in my opinion, there is no way they are the next cupcake. There is no way people would start using cake pops as an alternative to wedding cakes. There will be no cake pop towers. Yes, they may make an appearance at weddings as favors or perhaps at a dessert bar, but they aren't all that great. 

Maybe I am a little biased towards cupcakes. You can eat cupcakes slowly and enjoy them. You eat a cake pop in like two bites because it falls off the stick if you try to take tiny bites. I love my cupcakes. 

For those of you who have never had a cake pop or are wondering how they are made, let me share some cake pop basics with you. Basically, you make a cake. Then you crumble up the cake in a mixer after you make it. Then you add some icing to the cake crumbles. Then you roll the mixture into little balls, put them in the freezer for a few minutes, stick some lollipop sticks in them and then dip in chocolate. If you want, you can even decorate them pretty after that. It's a lot of trouble in my opinion. Maybe I am just bitter because mine didn't look that great. Here are how mine turned out:




Mine were also really rich. I think they are supposed to be though. Cake pops are more like a truffle than a cake.  Maybe your attempt at cake pops will be better than mine.

Anyone have any other thoughts on cake pops? I just need to buy one at Starbucks and try one that someone else made :)

No comments:

Post a Comment